The University of Iowa Research Foundation (UIRF) manages the review and execution of the Outgoing Material Transfer Agreements (MTA). The UIRF is here to help you in the transfer of your outgoing materials to another academic institution or industry partner. For Incoming MTAs, contact The Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP). For more information, visit our FAQ page.
DO NOT TRANSFER YOUR MATERIALS BEFORE CONSULTING THE UIRF.
A fully executed agreement (signed by the UIRF and the Recipient Institution’s authorized official) MUST be in place prior to any transfer of materials.
What Is A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)?
- An MTA is a legal contract that governs the transfer of tangible materials between institutions for use in research.
- Materials to be transferred may include cell lines, plasmids, nucleotides, proteins, transgenic animals, plant varieties, bacteria, pharmaceuticals, software.
- An MTA addresses the rights, obligations, and restrictions of both the University of Iowa and the party receiving your materials parties regarding ownership, publication, intellectual property and permitted use and liability.
Outgoing MTA Request Process
- Click here to access Wellspring Sophia in a new browser tab (Google Chrome or Firefox are recommended).
- Click “Login with your HawkID” and DO NOT use the username and password field.
- Go to TASKS at the right side of the page, select Request a New Online MTA.
- Be sure to click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.
- The UIRF will receive your request.
**Please be sure to fill out the form completely. Incomplete forms will be returned to the researcher for completion resulting in a delay of processing your MTA.
**Click here to view the online MTA request instructions.
- Review the online MTA request
- Request additional information from Researchers, if necessary
- Approve the online request via email notification
- Conduct Export Controls
- Negotiate the terms of the MTA
- Prepare the MTA for review and obtain signatures
- Distribute the fully executed MTA to the Provider and Recipient(s)
Material Transfer Agreement Checklist
Be sure to include this essential information with your Outgoing MTA request:
- Applicable IRBs
- Grant #s
- MTA forms from recipient institution
- If you have submitted an invention disclosure for your Materials, include the UIRF Reference Number